The Ohio Senate and Ohio House have both decided to take a look at medical marijuana. They want to hear from the people of Ohio for their opinion on the issue. Many of you have joined the fight against marijuana legalization because you have experienced the negative impact that this drug has had on someone you know, either friend, or relative, or someone in your profession. This is the message that the legislature needs to hear. While many are saying that marijuana is safe, we know from the experiences of people in our lives the dangers of this drug. These are the stories that need to be told.
Preparing a Statement
Please consider telling your story to the Ohio House Task Force on Medical Marijuana. You can either write a letter or speak to the Task Force in person. Even when speaking, a written statement is required. See below on recommendations on writing your statement:
- Focus on some specific points that you would like to make with your statement
- Here are some ideas on some points to make:
- Marijuana can be addicting
- Increase in drugged driving and/or impact of drugged driving
- Impact on our youth and increased marijuana use if legalized.
- Impact on Society
- Introduction to other drugs after starting marijuana use
- Addiction Recovery impact to family, to society including cost
- Find some references to facts or studies that support your points
- Where possible, support your points with a personal story. Try to make a connection with your statement.Keep your message positive
- Be sure to thank your senator, the task force, or the representatives that are initiating the study both in your opening and closing of your statement.
How to contact:
Send your written statement to all of the following:
Representatives leading Ohio House Medical Marijuana Task Force:
Contact the Task Force Chairman, State Representative Kirk Schuring (R-Canton) at rep48@OhioHouse.gov. You can also contact two other Task Force members from the Ohio House : State Representative Steve Huffman (R-Tipp City) at rep80@OhioHouse.gov and State Representative Dan Ramos (D-Lorain) at rep56@OhioHouse.gov .
Contacting Your Own Senator in the Senate :
In order to contact your individual senator enter your zip code into the following link and select Contact Your Senator – http://ohiosenate.gov/members/contacting-your-senator
Contacting Your Own Representative in the House :
To contact your individual representative in the Ohio House, enter your zip code and select Search in the Member Search section of the following link - http://www.ohiohouse.gov/
Speaking to the Ohio House Task Force
Once you have written your statement, please consider presenting it to the Task Force in person. A member of CALMoh will be attending every one of the Task Force sessions, so contact us from our main page so that we can provide you additional guidelines on making your presentation.
The following are the scheduled dates for the Task Force Hearings:
- Thursday, March 10th at 7 PM
- Thursday, March 17th at 3 PM
- Thursday, March 31st at 3 PM
1 Capitol Square
Room 313 Finance Conference Room
Columbus, OH 43215